Saturday, July 3, 2010

PRODUCE



I am surrounded by fruit

I am surrounded by vegetables


My son asks for something

High in fructose

I think to myself


No!

No more sugar!


I don’t want to do that to him

Besides there’s enough of that

Inside the fruits around him


The girl in tight jeans

And leather jacket

Looks at me

Then she speaks into her cell phone

And she smiles

Her eyes have the glitter

Of 1000 lighthouses


The song on the PA

Says something about being faithful

Being faithful to a meme?

I asked my self


The girl in the

Brown leather jacket

Has a twinkle in her eye

And walks amongst

The fruits of the earth

Towards me

With her plastic surgery nose


I put some fruit

In my shopping cart

And I smile


I smile because it is

The only sensible thing to do


I smile

Because those I love keep dying


I smile

Because even if I don’t love them they die anyway


I smile

Because I don’t want to cry


I smile

Because you live longer that way


I smile

As the bakery girl puts my bread in a paper bag

And tells me: I am wet


I smile

Because I miss you so much


I smile

Because you bravery sent you straight to God


I smile

Because I made sure to keep infections out


I smile

Because bacteria near the brain is deadly


I smile

Since healthy gums make for better kissing


I smile

Because there’s nothing better to do


We paid with paper money

We walked outside

An old car

Waiting for us

No comments:

Post a Comment